In November, 2014, STC-PMC and Drexel Edits co-hosted a meeting called “Engaging the Future of Tech Comm,” where STC-PMC members talked about their experiences in Tech Comm and introduced the Drexel University student community to the PMC.
Drexel Edits was founded by Dr. Lawrence Souder, an associate teaching professor in Drexel’s Communication program. Drexel Edits offers pro bono editing services to nonprofit organizations in the neighborhoods that border Drexel University.
The presentations followed a cracker-barrel style format. There were six tables; each had a speaker who repeated his or her talk to three different groups of participants.
Speakers and presentations included—
- Harrison Brown: “Beginning a career in software documentation”
- Todd DeLuca: “Customer-focused content”
- Juliane Mills: “From bedside to bench to beyond: Writing for patients and drug development”
- Gary Sternberg: “Careers in environmental technical writing”
- Katie Wilson: “Creating effective administration documentation”
- Brian Winter: “Best practices for technical communication job seekers”
The meeting provided a great opportunity for students and PMCers to meet, mingle, and share ideas.