STC Puget Sound has a series of 3 free webinars called the Saturday Series http://www.stc-psc.org/the-saturday-series/ that are held on the 3rd Sat. of each month. There are 100 seats available. They will also record them and offer them for use on their web site once they’ve been completed (provided there are no technical issues). Currently they are doing Snagit, SharePoint, and Microsoft in consecutive order.
The Saturday Series are free, online introductory sessions to help new Tech Comm graduates or those returning to the workforce after an extended absence, gain some knowledge and exposure to common tools they are expected to know and use in their work. These tools are not generally taught in any technical communication program and yet they are important for new communicators to be familiar with when beginning a new position.
When: They are held on the 3rd Saturday of each month from Sept-Nov.
Time: 10 am- 12 noon PST (or earlier)
There are no books, PPT slides, or other materials, which is why the training is free. The format for these session will be as follows:
- Review the tool in general and discuss its basic uses
- Demonstrate how to perform basic tasks
- Review best practices when appropriate
- Q&A regarding the content covered
- General Q&A regarding the tool
- September 23rd Session 1: Introducing the latest version of SnagIt.
- October 21st Session 2: Introducing SharePoint
- November 18th Session 3: Learn to use Word like a Boss!