The Society for Technical Communication – Philadelphia Metro Chapter (STC-PMC) offers sponsored student memberships and a scholarship for 2019. This scholarship program assists students who are pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree and intend to seek a career in technical writing, editing, graphic design, interface design, web design, or some other job in technical communications.
The scholarship program has two parts:
- Multiple STC-PMC student memberships ($75 value), awarded based on an application form and essay response.
- A $500 scholarship to the student’s university. This cash award is based on a student’s demonstrated participation in and contributions to the STC-PMC community.
Read a Drexel student’s perspective on STC-PMC student membership.
Who Can Apply?
Eligible students for the scholarship are:
- Attending a college full-time in the greater Philadelphia area (Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, Philadelphia, Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Mercer, or New Castle Counties).
- Working toward a Bachelor’s degree with an interest in the technical communication field. Students must be studying communication of information about technical subjects. Other majors, such as general journalism, electronic engineering, computer programming, creative writing, or entertainment, are not eligible.
- Undergraduate students who have completed at least one year of post-secondary education and have at least one semester remaining before completion of the degree.
- Graduate students who have completed at least one year of graduate study and have at least one year semester before completion of the degree.
How Do I Apply?
All applications are submitted electronically by using the application form. The link to this form can also be found on the chapter website. Each applicant’s student membership request should include the following items:
- A 300-500 word response to the question, “Why do you want to join STC and how do you expect to benefit from your membership?”
- A résumé or equivalent information.
What Is the Deadline for Applying?
Applications for student membership must be submitted online by March 1, 2019. Student membership in STC-PMC is based solely on the submitted application and essay response.
The STC-PMC Scholarship Committee evaluates all applications. If accepted, the applicant will be awarded a student-level STC membership in the Philadelphia Metro Chapter. STC-PMC student membership is required to compete for the scholarship.
How Do I Participate?
Throughout the spring, the Scholarship Committee evaluates student members’ participation in and contribution to STC-PMC activities for scholarship consideration. A list of suggested activities and specific opportunities to volunteer will be provided to sponsored students.
When Will I Know If I Won?
The scholarship winner will be notified by phone or email in May 2019. The winner will be formally recognized at an STC-PMC chapter meeting in June 2019. STC-PMC will send a check to the winner’s school in the student’s name.