STC is now accepting applications from students who would like to volunteer at the STC Summit in Denver, Colorado at the Hyatt Regency from May 5-8. The deadline for application is April 1st.
Go here for more information and the registration form. Please note that students must be STC members to take advantage of this opportunity. Student membership is on sale right now for only $65! You can join using this membership form.
Normally, student registration at the Summit costs $200 but student volunteers attend for free!
Volunteering at the Summit is a tremendous opportunity for students. Students will help at the registration booth and assist the Education Manager in session rooms by counting attendees and helping the speaker as needed. They use a group texting app called GroupMe to make communication easy. The tasks while in the session rooms generally do not detract from the student’s learning experience in that session.
Students can benefit from all of the incredible programming and activities on offer. The full schedule is available here. You can view it in a PDF grid or as a list. There are 80+ sessions and 12 workshops, plus:
· Opening Keynote by Peter Morville, information architecture expert and co-author of the O’Reilly “Polar Bear” books
· Honors Event speaker Gabby Pascuzzi from Survivor (!!!!!)
· Closing General Session speakers Karen Schriver, Saul Carliner, and Ginny Redish
· Certified Professional Technical Communicator (CPTC) Exam Prep Training (this is a pre-conference session with an extra cost)
· An Expo Hall where you can meet with vendors and visit the Tech Comm Library
· Fun social events Monday and Tuesday evening, and Wednesday afternoon after the Closing General Session
Please know that they will need to arrange for their own lodging and food (though a free continental breakfast will be available to all each day) and that they should be at the conference center in the Hyatt Regency by approximately 7:30 a.m. each day. Individual schedules will vary, however, and management will work with each person to determine their availability and schedule.