Our client is seeking a technical writer who is passionate about creating useful and usable product documentation.
This is a contract assignment, expected to begin in September 2019 and run for approximately 1 year.
About the job
- Own the user experience of product documentation.
- Apply content strategy best practices to documentation planning, creation, delivery, and maintenance.
- Create product documentation for our customers as part of the Product Content team.
- Your content will help support both internal and external customers — including our financial customers as they use our suite of products — and help answer both the how and why of a product feature or service.
- Given initial requirements, work with product managers, developers and other subject matter experts, as well as UX writers and content strategists, to help identify how product documentation can improve the customer experience.
- Investigate the impact of upcoming product enhancements to existing content, determine when new content is needed, and create a content revision and creation plan.
- Prioritize and propose updates to stakeholders.
- Constantly seek and respond to stakeholder and customer feedback.
- Create, maintain, and effectively communicate project status to enable team coordination and tracking. Help manage — and mentor — junior technical writers.
During the interview process be prepared to share samples that demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Familiarity with the basic principles and techniques of agile content development, including pair writing, personas, user stories, and scrum.
- Experience collaborating with software development teams — both onshore and offshore — and working on integrated product teams
- Demonstrated ability to empathize with customers, analyze their needs, and develop a writing plan to meet those needs.
- Experience creating user-centric product documentation for internal and external customers (minimum 5 years)
- Experience with topic-based authoring
- Ability to use all the standard software tools and, more importantly, the ability to learn new ones
- Experience using authoring tools to create and publish content online
- Willingness to help manage, and mentor, junior technical writers
- Familiarity with editorial style guides, publishing process flows, and content management systems
- Big-picture, strategic thinking as well as acute attention to detail
- Comfortable working closely with web developers to provide effective online presentation of technical and instructional content.
Contact Pete Majewski at 610.233.0097