The Society for Technical Communication – Philadelphia Metro Chapter (STC-PMC) is offering free student memberships and a $500 scholarship for 2023!
This sponsored membership and scholarship program assists students who are pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree and intend to seek a career in technical writing, technical editing, graphic design, interface design, UX design, web development or some other job in technical communications.
The program has two parts:
Multiple STC-PMC student memberships ($75 value), awarded based on an application form, and a short essay or video response.
One $500 scholarship to a selected student’s university. This cash award is based on a student’s demonstrated participation in and contributions to the STC-PMC community.
Who Is Eligible?
- Full time undergraduate and graduate students attending college in the greater Philadelphia area (Berks, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Lehigh, Montgomery, Northampton, Philadelphia, Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Mercer, or New Castle Counties).
- Students who have completed the first academic year of their undergraduate or graduate program and have at least one semester remaining before degree completion.
- Students who have an interest in the technical communication field, which includes technical writing, technical editing, UX design, content development, content strategist, information technology, document management, digital library services, social media strategists, data analysts, digital marketing, communication managers, even marketing specialists.
How Do I Apply for the Sponsored Student Memberships?
Prepare the following items:
- A 300-500 word essay or 3-5 minute video response to the question, “Why do you want to join STC-PMC, and how do you expect to benefit from your membership?”
- A résumé or equivalent information.
Complete the the STC-PMC Student Membership Application Form.
When Is The Deadline?
Applications must be submitted by February 25, 2023. The STC-PMC Membership Committee evaluates all applications.
How Will I Know If I Won a Student Membership?
Winners of the sponsored student memberships will be notified via email by the end of March.
How Do I Compete for the Scholarship?
Winners of the sponsored student memberships are eligible to compete for the $500 scholarship based on their participation and involvement in STC-PMC activities from April through June 2023. Throughout the spring, the STC-PMC Membership Committee evaluates student members’ contributions to STC-PMC activities for scholarship consideration. A list of suggested activities and specific opportunities to volunteer will be provided to sponsored students.