A year has passed since STC-PMC re-imagined the structure of our Administrative Council and thus far we think the process has served our members well. Once again it is time to elect a new slate of officers – President and Treasurer/Secretary, as well as bring in new volunteer Directors-at-Large. To that end, we are looking for nominations for the following roles:
- President (elected): The role of the STC-PMC President is to represent the chapter for the STC and to act as its liaison to the Society. The President serves as an advisor/project manager for the entire chapter, leading the Council team in delegating and completing chapter activities that help to educate, network, recruit, and maintain the chapter membership. The President determines and sets the main plan for the programming year, and communicates the information to the STC office liaisons and other STC presidents. The chapter President supports the Treasurer and the Directors at-large in their activities and helps to ensure that the activities succeed, including running regular meetings to ensure that things are running smoothly. The President is also responsible for facilitating the STC applications for Distinguished Service Chapter Awards, Community Achievement Awards, Associate Fellow nominations, and Community Pacesetter Awards.
- Treasurer/Secretary (elected): The chapter treasurer is in charge of tracking all incoming and outgoing monies for the chapter. The bulk of this work is tied to chapter activities, such as monthly meetings, expenses, and conference expenditures. The Treasurer and President have debit cards associated with the checking account. This enables them to buy things for the chapter without requiring reimbursement, although receipts must be submitting for all transactions, and those transactions are reconciled with the chapter’s bank account on a monthly basis. The treasurer is also responsible for the submission of the yearly budget to the STC Office, and submitting any short tax forms on behalf of the chapter. The treasurer’s role is important as that person helps the chapter understand how to budget for the activities they want to do. The Secretary part of the role involves attending all the STC-PMC Council meetings, and keeping notes based on the meeting agendas.
- Directors at-Large (volunteer): A Director at-Large is part of the Council team who, in turn, supports the President’s initiatives for the program year. The Council team shares the responsibilities for running the chapter. These responsibilities include:
- academic outreach
- business partnerships
- chapter digital management (e.g., website, emails, email contact list, etc.)
- All Directors-at-Large can participate in any of the chapter’s three committees: Membership, Communications, and Programming. To ensure effective job sharing, however, they must participate in two Committees. Furthermore, responsibilities will rotate or change on a regular basis as the President assigns, so no one person is on the hook for always doing the same thing. This is a great opportunity to build leadership and soft skills with support from your fellow Directors, not to mention to help shape the chapter going forward.
Nominations are due April 8th, with elections beginning the following week. While you must be a current STC AND STC-PMC member to run for an elected position, anyone can make nominations or volunteer to be a Director at-Large. If you enjoy being a member of STC-PMC, how about seeing what a few hours a month of your free time can do to keep the chapter going strong?
Got questions? Email email@example.com.